Sponsor: NH Alcohol & Drug Abuse Counselors Association
PRESENTATION: This course will explore the symptoms and diagnostic criteria of Substance Use Disorder (SUD), as well as the impact that substances can have on mental health. In addition, we will explore how SUD impacts a person’s ability to regain healthy habits, including exercise and nutrition. There is a lot of evidence to suggest that exercise can have a positive impact on a person in recovery, including helping them to maintain recovery. However, there are many factors that impact a person’s ability to connect to exercise, maintain healthy habits, and manage recovery and exercise simultaneously. This course will discuss how we can utilize exercise at several levels of treatment, how we can motivate clients to utilize this modality, and how exercise can positively impact both the client and potentially the family and/or recovery community.
Following this training, participants will be able to:
- Understand and describe the symptoms and diagnostic criteria of Substance Use Disorders and understand the basic symptoms and criteria of specific substances, including Alcohol, Opiates and Stimulants.
- Develop a basic understanding of mental health disorders and how they can intersect with Substance Use Disorder and impact a person’s ability to enter recovery and maintain recovery from SUD.
- Develop an understanding of how nutritional issues can impact a person in early recovery and how each substance can impact those nutritional issues.
- Understand the mind/body connection and what exercises can begin to build this connection in early recovery and how past trauma can affect this connection.
- Describe the benefits of exercise in recovery, including how it can impact relapse prevention, overall mental health, and long term stability. Also describe and understand how to incorporate exercise into treatment and early recovery.
ABOUT THE PRESENTER: Corey Gately, MLADC is the Director of Substance Use Services at Concord Hospital – Laconia and Franklin. She oversees the Recovery Clinic and the Doorway in her current role. Corey is also a certified L1 Crossfit Coach and works at Juggernaut Fitness in Laconia, NH. She has been working in the field of Substance Use Disorders for over 20 years and has been coaching functional fitness classes for 3 years. She is currently directly working with people in early recovery by connecting them to exercise.
For more information and to register click herehttps://www.nhadaca.org/event-5279353
- August 18, 2023
- 9:00 am - 1:30 pm
- 130 Pembroke Road, Suite 150
Concord, NH 03301
- see registration