Sponsor: NH Alcohol & Drug Counselors Association
A 18-hour training with Ellen Morehouse, LCSW, CASAC, CPP
September 27, 28 & 29, 2021
8:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., daily
PRESENTATION: Project SUCCESS (Schools Using Coordinated Community Efforts to Strengthen Students) is a highly rated school-based program to prevent and reduce substance use among secondary school adolescents, by providing a full range (universal, selective and indicated) of substance use prevention strategies. These include a prevention education series, school wide awareness activities, individual and group counseling, screening and referral, and environmental strategies. This interactive training will provide participants with the information, skills, and resources needed to implement the program. As a result of attending this training participants will be able to:
- Identify risk and protective factors associated with preventing and reducing adolescent substance use;
- Demonstrate skills to engage students in activities and in a Prevention Education Series in order to correct erroneous perceptions about alcohol and other drug use, build resistance skills, identify supports, and increase understanding of the developmental stressors they are experiencing;
- Identify key components of a strength based assessment utilizing motivational and cognitive techniques;
- Identify, assess, engage and counsel children of substance abusing parents;
- Identify the importance of involving students in peer leadership activities/clubs and strategies to recruit students; and
- Describe the difference between a selective and indicated group.
PRESENTER:Ellen Morehouse, LCSW, CASAC, CPP is an entertaining and engaging nationally known substance abuse prevention expert that has presented to parents, professionals, and school and community groups in 44 states. She is the creator of three national model substance abuse prevention programs. As Executive Director of Student Assistance Services Corporation, she has been the recipient of grants from the CDC, the U.S. Dept. of Education, the Center for Substance Abuse Prevention, the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism and the National Institute on Drug Abuse. Ellen has published several articles in professional journals, has appeared on Good Morning America, Nightline and ABC Network News and has been interviewed by several magazines including People Magazine, Reader’s Digest, Psychology Today, Women’s Day, Good Housekeeping, Harper’s Bazaar, and Parents Magazine. She was one of the founders and is an advisory board member of the National Association for Children of Addiction (NACOA) and currently is the Prevention Committee Co-chair of the NY Association of Addiction Services and Professionals (ASAP).
To register click here
- September 27, 2021
- 8:30 am - 4:00 pm
- see registration for details