Sponsor: New Hampshire Alcohol & Drug Abuse Counselors Association
PRESENTATION: This is an brief introduction to the evidence and practice-based clinical method of motivational interviewing (MI). The training will provide an orientation to the underlying spirit and principles of MI and its goals and strategies in developing empathy skills, recognize and elicit client change talk, and roll with resistance. The use of client assessment feedback in MI is explained. Research evidence is reviewed for the efficacy of MI and for the importance of the worker and the client relationship in positive outcomes. As a result of this training, participants will be able to:
- Describe three aspects of the spirit of motivational interviewing;
- Explain the difference between MI and client-centered;
- Recognize the ability to respond to clients with empathic reflective statements;
- Identify change talk within client speech;
- Recognize open questions designed to elicit change talk;
- Provide an empathic summary statement collecting change talk; and
- Describe a procedure to screen potential counselors for empathetic skill.
PRESENTER: Stephen R. Andrew, LCSW, LADC, CCS, CGP, is a storyteller, trainer and the Chief Energizing Officer of Health Education Training Institute. He maintains a compassion focused private practice in Portland, Maine USA where he also facilitates a variety of young person, men’s, co-ed, couples and caregiver groups. Stephen is a member of the International Motivational Interviewing Network of Trainers (MINT) since 2003. Stephen provides coaching and training domestically and internationally (Singapore, China, Holland, Sweden, Turkey & UK) for social service agencies, health-care providers, substance abuse counselors, criminal justice and other groups on motivational interviewing, addiction, co-occurring disorders, counseling theory, “challenging” adolescents, supervision and ethics for care professionals, men’s work and the power of group work, as well as supervising a coding/ coaching laboratory and training for Motivational Interviewing. Stephen is the proud father of an 18 year-old son, Sebastian, and co-author of Game Plan: A Man’s Guide to Achieving Emotional Fitness.
To register click here
- June 18, 2021
- 8:30 am - 11:45 am
- see registration for details